Here Is How You Can Verify Your Twitter Account
Sometimes when we see celebrities, politicians, journalists and other popular figures with their verified twitter handles we just hope we were in that same position. The truth is you can also get your twitter handle verified especially if you are active on twitter.
Twitter approve account types maintained by users in music, acting, fashion, government, politics, religion, journalism, media, sports, business, and other key interest areas. If you believe your account is of public interest and should be verified, this article outlines information about submitting a request for you to get verified.
What does it mean to get a verified twitter handle? No one can impersonate you on twitter which happens to be one of the most popular social media platforms. That’s why you see almost all popular figures have their handles verified.
The good news came July last year that you don’t have to wait to be verified by twitter because user who believe they have some good amount of influence needed to be verified.
Just like what my friend Mathias Amodu of zealmatblog said, “It will be cool if you had that white check mark in a blue cloud on your Twitter profile”.
Let me also inform you that it is not certain twitter will get your handle verified once you file a request for verification.
Submitting Your Request
To be able to complete the form, your account must have the following:
- A verified phone number.
- A confirmed email address. Note: If the account is a company or organization account, the email address associated with the account should be a company or organization email address.
- A bio.
- A profile photo.
- A header photo.
- A birthday (for accounts that are not company, brand, or organization accounts). Note: This information will be displayed to the audience that you’ve chosen. There are visibility settings available for your birthday that allow you to separately control who on Twitter can see your birth year and who can see your birth day and month in your Twitter profile.
- A website.
- Tweets set as public in Tweet privacy settings.
For requests to verify individual accounts (that do not represent a company or organization), we require a copy of your official government-issued photo identification (e.g. passport or driver’s license) in order to confirm your request. Information used for this purpose will be deleted.
Profile And Account Recommendations
Some common characteristics of verified accounts include:
- If the account belongs to a person, the name reflects the real or stage name of the person.
- If the account is a corporation or company account, the name reflects the real name of the corporation or company.
- The profile and/or header photo reflects the person, the corporation’s branding, or the company’s branding.
- The bio specifies an area of expertise and/or a company mission.
Visit verification request form web page and make sure you are logged into your Twitter account to proceed. If you are not logged in you will be asked to.
Then Confirm the username you would like to be verified.
Now you’ll automatically be asked to submit a request for the account you are logged into. Log into a different account if the one that displays is not the one you wish to request verification for.
Click continue when you’re ready. If you are a company or corporation, check the box at the bottom-left corner of the screen to indicate it.
Add any missing information. If your Twitter account lacks any information that is required to submit a request, you will be notified on the next page. Add this information to your Twitter, and then return to the page to continue.
Check the section on Increasing Your Changes of Verification for a list of the information you’ll need to have handy in order to be eligible to make a request.
Enter websites as references. Provide to 2-6 websites or blog url that can be used to identify your account.
Note: You should provide instances of your appearances in the news, high-traffic content producers, or other evidence of your public influence.
Your official website is already provided on your Twitter profile, so don’t worry about listing it again.
Now tell them why you should be verified. In the box below, write a clear line for your account verification.
Click the blue “Next” button at the bottom of the screen. You will be taken to page asking you to confirm your submission.
Hit the “Submit” button Your request will be sent for review. Once a decision has been made, you will be notified via e-mail.
Wait to be contacted by Twitter’s @Verified account for instructions on verifying your account. If Twitter decides that you qualify for a verified account, they will reach out to you via direct message.
Click the link in the direct message to be taken to finish the process.
Note: If your request is denied, don’t be afraid! You can re-submit your request after 30 days.
Complete the verification process. The final part of the process has 3 parts:
- Learn how to Tweet effectively.
- Connect with other Interesting Twitter Users.
- Protect your Account.
- Learn how to Tweet effectively gives you a choice between 2 tweets and asks you to choose which one is better. It has the form of a quiz, but there will be no negative effects if you do not answer correctly. It is designed to teach you to increase your Twitter followers.
- Connect with other Interesting Twitter Users gives you the option to follow other verified accounts. Twitter believes that this gives you more legitimacy as a verified user.
- Protect your Account asks you to enter a phone number that Twitter can call if there are any problems with your account. Once you have completed this step, your account will be verified.
When you are done, please ensure you do not change your account information. Once you have received a verification badge.
Folks, if you are an upcoming blogger please ensure you verify your twitter handle as it ensures no one can impersonate your account.