The Best Free Software of 2022
Software is the main product for all types of businesses that every person uses every day. For people it is obviously a means of communication and entertainment, but for business it serves to organize the process and management. In this article, we will look at the best free software and applications that will help companies of any size and income level.
What Software suits you
The following list of free software is a sample, you may add your personal favorites. We recommend taking a look at these applications.
The best free software are:
- Smartsheet is a program that allows you to create all kinds of tables, graphs and charts. The program allows you to work with databases and perform various operations with them, such as: adding, deleting, updating, sorting, filtering and searching records, as well as printing and exporting them.
- Google Docs. The program is designed to create, edit and share documents in Google format.
- Apache OpenOffice. Creates text documents and files, spreadsheets and presentations, as well as applications that can be shared with other users from the Internet.
- Microsoft Office Access. This program is designed for database management. It allows you to view, study, edit, create and protect databases. VLC Media Player is an open source player that can play almost all existing video formats.
- VLC Media Player is an open source player that can play almost all existing video formats.
- Audacity is a free and open source sound editor for Windows, Linux and macOS. It supports all audio formats, including WAV, AIFF, AU.
What for: SmartSheet — creating and maintaining lists of tasks and projects, the ability to track working hours, the ability to create reports and administration.
Best for: for managers, managers, employees who work with a large number of tasks, projects and documents.
Free Features: task management and task scheduling, the ability to create reports.
Available for: Windows, IOS, Android.
- syncing with other apps;
- ability to customize the report;
- ability to schedule tasks;
- ability to import and export tasks.
- doesn’t sync with Outlook;
- doesn’t support working time tracking.
SmartSheet is a program for creating and editing spreadsheets, containing several dozen built-in functions, many formulas for calculation, as well as the ability to create your own formulas.
The program allows you to use more than thirty different types of diagrams that can be created directly in the program. The SmartSheet program has more than twenty built-in templates, which will allow you to quickly create your own spreadsheet. Also, you can create your own templates, add new columns and rows to them, and then fill them with data and save them as a file. When saving a template, you can specify the type of chart you want to see in it.
The SmartSheet program supports the import and export of data in Microsoft Excel formats, OpenOffice.org Base, MathML, CSV and TXT.
SmartSheet supports several types of tables and graphs. You can combine tables of data into a multi-page spreadsheet or create a single spreadsheet with a table of data. For example, you can combine two tables into a single one and create a multi-table spreadsheet to display all the data in one spreadsheet in a logical manner.
What for: Google Docs – creating and viewing documents in the form of web pages; editing text documents using page markup, tables and other objects. Best for: for students, employees, for collaboration, creating presentations.
Free features: document creation, spreadsheets, presentations, document collaboration, document sharing, document editing, document search.
Available for: Windows, IOS, Android.
- the ability to work together with documents;
- creating tables, presentations;
- built-in search;
- the ability to work together.
- inconvenient interface;
- poor support for Cyrillic characters;
- unstable work.
Google Docs is a browser-based program for collaboration with documents and tables (text documents, spreadsheets and presentations) using a web browser. You can not only view and edit documents, but also create new ones, as well as work together on them. The Google Docs app allows you to create, edit, and save documents online using a browser.
Google Docs can be used by individuals, teams, organizations, or groups of individuals. All users can share, collaborate, and share their documents with the docs API. Docs API can help you create and manage documents through the API.
What for: Apache OpenOffice is designed for reading and writing ODF files, supports only reading ODF files, but not editing them, creating and editing files in ODF format.
Best For: for students; managers; developers; web designers; programmers; users of other office packages.
Free features: ability to work with ODF and ODFX files (OpenDocument Extensible Format), support for ODF 1.1 and ODF 2.0 formats, formula editor, email support.
- available for all versions of Windows;
- ability to work with dictionaries.
- limited formatting support.
Apache OpenOffice is a program for working with text documents, spreadsheets, graphs, databases and presentations. It is included in the package OpenOffice.org , which also includes a Writer text editor, a Calc table processor, an Impress presentation system, a Draw vector graphics editor, and a Math formula editor.
OpenOffice.org allows you to create documents in MS Office, OpenOffice, HTML and other formats, supports document formats of previous versions of Microsoft Office.
What for: Microsoft Office Access — creating databases and applications for working with them, a tabular editor designed for creating and editing spreadsheets; a text editor.
Best for: for students, graduate students, teachers; for office employees.
Free features: creating tables, forms, reports, macros and modules; field-level data access protection, export and import of data in *.xls format (Microsoft Excel), support for document templates.
Available for: Windows, IOS, Android.
- ability to create databases;
- creating applications using macros;
- using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) as a development environment;
- having a library of visual objects.
- limited opportunities for creating business applications;
- a limited set of file formats supported by this DBMS.
Microsoft Office Access is a database management program that allows users to view, modify, analyze, and develop databases. With Access, you can create both simple and complex reports that can be saved to an Access database file for sending by email.
You can also use Access to view, create, and modify tables and forms. Access allows you to add fields with lists, form fields, buttons and other objects to tables.
The application is open source and can be downloaded free of charge. The program is released under the GPL v3 license.
What for: VLC Media Player is a player of video and audio files, viewing images and movies, support for plugins and skins.
Best for: for office workers, schoolchildren and students.
Free Features: viewing raw videos (without conversion), convenient management, subtitle support, recording audio and video to DVD, built-in player.
Available for: Windows, iOS, Andoid.
- supports all popular video formats;
- allows you to record videos from online services;
- built-in YouTube player;
- watching videos without internet;
- the ability to view videos in high resolution;
- support for a large number of codecs.
- when recording video through the program, the quality of the final file decreases.
VLC Media Player is a media player from the creators of VideoLAN, which has a very simple and user-friendly interface. VLC Media Player plays almost all existing audio and video formats. This is very important, since most of the players that offer users to download do not support most common formats. As a result, the quality of the video or audio being played may be unsatisfactory.
The program lets you burn CD/DVD and play back Blu-ray discs. The program is easy to use, so the player can be easily used by anyone. It does not require any installation process. As long as you have Internet connection, you can use the program even from a tiny downloaded file.
What for: Audacity – recording, editing and mixing audio, creating remixes. Best for: students, sound engineers, musicians.
Free features: Recording audio from a microphone, line-in or via DLNA (if there is a DLNA-compatible device), editing audio tracks, removing noise.
Available for: Windows.
- very simple and intuitive interface;
- there is support for plugins;
- free version is available.
- there is no possibility of recording and editing multi-channel audio files Audacity is a program for recording and editing audio;
- it has many functions that will help you record audio from a microphone or other source, trim and enhance the recording, add effects and much more;
- the program is free to use and compatible with Windows;
- audacity allows you to save the result in various formats, such as MP3, WAV, FLAC, OGG and others.
Thus, helper programs allow you to quickly and painlessly“proceed to the next action in the process of working with a computer. They save the user’s time and also increase labor productivity. In addition, assistants increase the overall efficiency of work, since they do not allow the user to be distracted by studying the program interface – he already knows what and how to do.
As a result, the user can focus on completing the task that is facing him.However, we should not forget that any software has its drawbacks. And if you want to use an assistant program, then you need to remember that it may not replace all other programs. Many of them have additional functions and this greatly simplifies the process of working on a computer.